Wednesday, September 9, 2009

"How we learn" task

Hello dear all,
This was my experience teaching a young adult, with a pre-intermediate English level, at the university. I considered that her learning style was audio-visual. I got to this conclusion after observing carefully her performance in the different activities suggested. In the same way, following what Torres, I and Cárdenas, R. present in http://www.hltmag.co.uk/oct08/mart04.htm, the characteristics of visual and auditory learners originated from Bandler, R. and Grinder, J. shown below, were very similar to her behavior.
Those who prefer a visual learning style...
...look at the teacher's face intently
...like looking at wall displays, books etc.
...often recognize words by sight
...use lists to organize their thoughts
...recall information by remembering how it was set out on a page
Those who prefer an auditory learning style...
...like the teacher to provide verbal instructions
...like dialogues, discussions and plays
...solve problems by talking about them
...use rhythm and sound as memory aids
Taking into account Dale’s cone she generally remembered more when watching moving pictures, viewing exhibits and when watching demonstrations. Then, she was able to demonstrate, apply and practice easily.
In my lessons, I always tried to support her learning style by offering activities related to her learning style. I took images and demonstrating videos, songs and movies, I proposed her to create dialogues and discuss about certain topics.
In general, I could evidence that she had improved every day her performance and her attitude and I believe it was thanks to the discovery of her learning style and the action taken to carry out activities suitable for her learning style.
-->

No comments:

Post a Comment